- I'm in school
I'm in school
Tools for school
Planning your career starts with choosing the right school subjects.
Choosing your high school subjects can seem difficult and confusing. But, with the right kind of information and guidance, you can make good choices about subjects you really enjoy and can do well in. The subjects you take at school can also help you decide on what to study further and the type of work and career you want to follow after school. You will find lots of helpful information on this page.
Do you have a career or training question? Click here to ask us.
Starting out on your career path is a bit like planning a long and exciting trip! It needs some planning, a sense of direction and determination to keep going. Careers can be like winding roads. There’s always a single starting point but expect many twists and turns along the way!
Tips for your career journey
- Spend some time thinking about your interests, skills and the things that make you happy. Do research to find careers that include these things. Career Planet is a good place to start! Click here to find out more about different careers.
- Draw a map of where you are now, and where you want to go in your career. You may decide to change direction later on but you need a place to start.
- Choose a guide. Many successful people have mentors who help and guide them in their careers. A mentor can be anyone that you respect and who has life experience and wisdom.
- Start out with a positive attitude and work on keeping it.
- Be prepared for change. It can be good for you.
- There will be some stops along the way. Use these as opportunities to learn and grow.
- Get up if you fall. Recovering makes us stronger and wiser.
- Encourage and help others along the way.
- Enjoy the ride. It’s your life. Make it count!
Careers of the week