- I'm in school
I'm in school
Tools for school
Planning your career starts with choosing the right school subjects.
Choosing your high school subjects can seem difficult and confusing. But, with the right kind of information and guidance, you can make good choices about subjects you really enjoy and can do well in. The subjects you take at school can also help you decide on what to study further and the type of work and career you want to follow after school. You will find lots of helpful information on this page.
Do you have a career or training question? Click here to ask us.
Starting out on your career path is a bit like planning a long and exciting trip! It needs some research, a sense of direction and determination to keep going. Careers can be like winding roads. There’s always a single starting point but expect many twists and turns along the way!
Tips for your career journey
- Spend some time thinking about your interests, skills and the things that make you happy. Do research to find careers that include these things. Career Planet is a good place to start! Click here to find out more about different careers.
- Draw a map of where you are now, and where you want to go in your career. You may decide to change direction later on but you need a place to start.
- Choose a guide. Many successful people have mentors who help and guide them in their careers. A mentor can be anyone that you respect and who has life experience and wisdom.
- Start out with a positive attitude and work on keeping it.
- Be prepared for change. It can be good for you.
- There will be some stops along the way. Use these as opportunities to learn and grow.
- Get up if you fall. Recovering makes us stronger and wiser.
- Encourage and help others along the way.
- Enjoy the ride. It’s your life. Make it count!
Careers of the week
- SABC High School Career Expo: 24 & 25 August at Century City, Cape Town
- 18 AUGUST: FREE PARENT SEMINAR: Help your child make an informed career choice! Register for False Bay College's free Parent Seminar and Learner Career Assessment online.
- ESKOM EXPO for Young Scientists: Nationwide from 15-31 August 2018
- High School Scholarships. Apply by 31st August 2018.
- DON'T MISS SASOL TECHNO X 2018 at the Boiketlong Sport Centre, Eric Louw Road in Sasolburg from 13 – 17 August 2018.
- SAB is embarking on their most ambitious search yet for SA’s most promising and determined entrepreneurs. Only 60 places are available nationally for the SAB Foundation Tholoana Programme.
- Attention Boss Ladies! 10 week fully-funded 'Top Tech Tools for Women in Business' program for ambitious entrepreneurs. Applications close 31 August
- FREE BASIC COMPUTER TRAINING OPPORTUNITY. Applications close 20 August 2018 Venue: False Bay Colleges, Western Cape