- I am employed
Job interview tips
I am employed
Congratulations! Getting a job is one of the first steps along your career path. Where you chose to go now is up to you.
Your first job (or jobs) may not be what you had hoped for. Most of us start out doing work that is just a stepping stone to the next opportunity. If we are grateful for that opportunity we will go further. The important thing is to LEARN as we go.
The good news:
It doesn’t matter how low you start in the company – the good news is: you have a foot in the door.
This is the perfect opportunity to prove that you have potential. Always try to be:
• good at what you do. Whatever you do - do it your best!
• reliable and punctual
• willing to learn
• a team player
Having a job also gives you time to plan your future (study, get more skills, online courses etc)
A salary gives you a sense of purpose and pride – you can help yourself or your family
Sometimes the lessons we learn at work are hard, but we can learn from them.
If we see every job we do as an opportunity for growth and we respect ourselves and our work, there is more chance we will be noticed and rewarded.
Our success or failure depends on our attitudes and actions.
• It can be difficult working with others especially those from a different culture. Instead of complaining rather be interested and find out about their culture.
• Office gossip and office politics breeds negativity. Try to avoid both.
• Office romances seldom work and when they fall apart it can become difficult to work together. How important is your job? Is the relationship worth it?
What should I be doing?
• If you don’t want to stay in this position forever – then you need to prove yourself.
• You’ll need more skills. You could study, go on courses (maybe the company will even pay if you show you’re keen and ambitious), etc.
• Show that you’re a hard worker. Ask for overtime. Do more than you should. Show the bosses that you’re the best employee. Remember it’s YOUR career – so don’t worry what other employees think. If they want to stay where they are for the rest of their lives – that’s their decision!
• Keep your eyes and ears open to better opportunities. Don’t be afraid to explore.
• Aim high! Go for your goals. Sometimes it takes time, but it will be worth it.
LET'S GET AHEAD TOGETHER!
Good things to know
People with passion!