- What is an TVET College?
What is an TVET College?
If you find this article useful, please tell us at the end of the article.
What's a TVET college?
TVET stands for Technical and Vocational Education and Training
A TVET college provides education and training from Grade 10 to Grade 12 - through to career qualifications. These programmes are offered in technical, community and private FET colleges.
They also provide tertiary training, including short courses.
TVET colleges often focus on scarce skills development. These scarce skills are usually found in the trades, agriculture, arts & culture, business, commerce and management, education, training and development, engineering, manufacturing and technology, services, building construction and security.
Courses can vary in duration from a few days to a 3-year qualification.
- All public TVET colleges are registered with the Department of Higher Education & Training.
- All private TVET colleges are not! Be careful, some colleges are scams. Make sure the one you’re thinking of attending is accredited.
Why choose a TVET College?
1. You don’t have to wait to pass matric. You can join a TVET college in grade 10
2. You can get your Grade 12 equivalent/ trade (artisan) qualification known as the National Certificate Vocational at the same time as your artisan qualification
3. If you failed matric – you can go to a TVET college to get a qualification in a trade.
4.. There are a variety of practical-skilled courses available at TVET colleges. See below.
Check the latest government's Higher Education Department's list for registered colleges:
For more info on TVET colleges go to:
- TVET COLLEGES SOUTH AFRICA: http://www.tvetcolleges.co.za
Other articles to read:
Career Planet content
Did you find this article useful?
Thank you for sharing. For more info, post your question in ASK US.
Our Ask Us Team will get back to you as soon as they can.