- What is an TVET (FET) College?
What is an TVET (FET) College?
If you find this article useful, please tell us at the end of the article.
What's an FET college?
FET stands for Further Education and Training
- NOTE: FET colleges are now known as TVET colleges. TVET stands for Technical Vocational Education & Training
- CLICK HERE: http://www.careerplanet.co.za/artisans/artisan-articles/what-is-a-tvet-college
Because most people will still use the term FET, for some time, we have left this helpful page on our website.
An FET college provides education and training from Grade 10 to Grade 12 - through to career qualifications. These programmes are offered in technical, community and private FET colleges.
FET colleges often focus on scarce skills development. These scarce skills are usually found in the trades, agriculture, arts & culture, business, commerce and management, education, training and development, engineering, manufacturing and technology, services, building construction and security.
Courses can vary in duration from a few hours, to a few days to a 3 year qualification.
- All public FET colleges are registered with the Department of Higher Education & Training.
- All private FET colleges are not! Be careful, some colleges are scams. Make sure the one you’re thinking of attending is not a scam.
Why should I go to a FET College?
1. You don’t have to wait to pass matric. You can get your Grade 12 equivalent/ trade (artisan) qualification known as the National Certificate Vocational at the same time as your artisan qualification
2. If you failed matric – you can go to an FET college to get a qualification in a trade.
3. There are a variety of practical-skilled courses available at FET colleges. See below.
Check the latest government's Higher Education Department's list for registered colleges:
For more info on FET colleges go to:
- FET COLLEGES SOUTH AFRICA: http://www.fetcolleges.co.za/default.aspx
Other articles to read:
Career Planet content
Did you find this article useful?
Thank you for sharing. For more info, post your question in ASK US.
Our Ask Us Team will get back to you as soon as they can.