IMPORTANT NEWS: NSFAS Student Loan Applications for 2019 are on hold
by Karin Fuchsloch on Wed, Jul 18 2018 15:55:00
Thousands of disadvantaged students could be left stranded and clueless about next year’s funding, after Minister of Higher Education and Training Naledi Pandor asked the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (Nsfas) to halt its funding plans for the 2019 academic year.
On Wednesday, August 1, Nsfas was meant to open applications for the 2019 academic year, but Pandor has instructed staff at the funding organisation not to open the application process until it gets its house in order.
The National Education, Health and Allied Workers’ Union (Nehawu) has also entered the fray, calling for a motion of no confidence in the chief executive officer (CEO), Steven Zwane, and chairperson Sizwe Nxasana.
Some of the accusations levelled against Zwane, who has been at the helm for less than a year, include allegedly making irregular appointments of managers, who were his subordinates from his previous employment at Absa.
It has also been alleged that a tender was given to his former Absa boss to consult for Nsfas payments to students, and that Standard Bank and the scandal-ridden VBS Mutual Bank were awarded a Nsfas tender roll.
Nsfas gets close to R30 billion of the R89 billion budget received by the department of higher education and training.
Source: News24 City Press. To get more on this story click here
- SABC High School Career Expo: 24 & 25 August at Century City, Cape Town
- 18 AUGUST: FREE PARENT SEMINAR: Help your child make an informed career choice! Register for False Bay College's free Parent Seminar and Learner Career Assessment online.
- ESKOM EXPO for Young Scientists: Nationwide from 15-31 August 2018
- High School Scholarships. Apply by 31st August 2018.
- DON'T MISS SASOL TECHNO X 2018 at the Boiketlong Sport Centre, Eric Louw Road in Sasolburg from 13 – 17 August 2018.
- SAB is embarking on their most ambitious search yet for SA’s most promising and determined entrepreneurs. Only 60 places are available nationally for the SAB Foundation Tholoana Programme.
- Attention Boss Ladies! 10 week fully-funded 'Top Tech Tools for Women in Business' program for ambitious entrepreneurs. Applications close 31 August
- FREE BASIC COMPUTER TRAINING OPPORTUNITY. Applications close 20 August 2018 Venue: False Bay Colleges, Western Cape